An exciting East Lothian Online Heritage Festival will be taking place between (29 August - 13 September). This will replace the traditional Archaeology & Local History Fortnight.
There are a variety of programmes, with over 60 events available. The events range from virtual guided tours, presentations, films to workshops, poetry and music. Giving you the perfect opportunity to learn about local heritage on your door step.
Some of the events include:
- The Big Glassworks Dig - located in Port Seton, Sept 5-6 – An opportunity to dig in your own back garden, looking for remains from the old glassworks. There will be live footage from the digs so everyone can follow discoveries as they are uncovered.
- The Traditional Skills Showcase, Aug 29 and Sept 2 – A chance to get involved with online demonstrations and activities.
- Whiteadder – Historic Heart of the Lammermuirs – Celebrating the heritage of the Lammermuir Hills – from talks from archaeologists about their excavations and research, to poetry, art and music inspired by the heritage.
- Virtual guided heritage walks in Musselburgh, Gullane, Aberlady, Tranent and Dunglass.
- Battlefield events commemorating the Battles of Dunbar, Pinkie Cleugh and Prestonpans, including live footage from the commemoration ceremonies.
- Online exhibitions and films related to the Year of Coast and Waters, using historic images and oral histories from the archives.
- Children’s activities, including storytelling and crafts.