Arrangements to enrol children in primary 1 for 2021/22 are underway with a new process in place due to Covid-19 restrictions. 

The priority has been to manage the P1 enrolment process in a way that is safe for families, schools and staff.

Parents and carers would usually visit school buildings with supporting paperwork to undertake enrolment. Due to essential restrictions in place to limit the number of people entering school buildings, this is not possible in the current climate. 

Instead, letters were posted on 8 December 2020 to all families with age-eligible children who currently attend a local authority nursery or partner provider advising that a place is being held for their child at their catchment primary school.

No further action is needed from the parent or carer if the details are correct and the school is the family’s preferred option. Address details have already been cross-checked against council tax records to remove the need to provide paperwork.

Parents and carers can still apply for a catchment place at at one of the county’s four denominational primary schools by completing an online application where documents supporting the request can be securely uploaded.

Parents who would like their child to attend a non-catchment school, can make a placing request by downloading, completing and returning a non-catchment placing request form by 31 January.

If you live in the East Lothian Council area and your child is not attending a funded Early Learning and Childcare provision as outlined earlier on this page, you should register your child for P1 at their catchment primary school using an online application form before 31 January 2021.  

Executive Director for Education and Children’s Services Lesley Brown said:

“The priority has been to manage the P1 enrolment process in a way that is safe for families, schools and staff.

“If the details and choice of school within the letter are correct, no further action is needed.”

Parents/carers who did not receive a letter by 18 December should email: 

Full information including links to the relevant forms is available online.

Published: Wednesday, 23rd December 2020