Explore John Muir’s county on foot with new self-guided walking trails
East Lothian Council has launched ten new self-guided walking trails in partnership with walking app, Go Jauntly, to help achieve the aim of the county supporting safe and sustainable communities.
The walks take in areas including Musselburgh, Pencaitland, Dunbar, Haddington, Prestonpans, Cockenzie and North Berwick and highlight parks, greenspaces, heritage points and coastal routes, ensuring there is a walking route suitable for all ages and abilities.
Cllr Colin McGinn, East Lothian Council’s Cabinet Spokesperson for Community Wellbeing and Sport, Countryside and Leisure, said: “The COVID-19 pandemic highlighted for many people the importance of accessing countryside for leisure and wellbeing. The Go Jauntly app provides a wealth of information about routes that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities and helps showcase the diverse countryside of our county.”
Hana Sutch, CEO and Co-Founder at Go Jauntly said, ‘It’s so exciting to announce that Go Jauntly is expanding into Scotland and we’re thrilled to be working with East Lothian Council to encourage more people to explore this beautiful county. There are so many lovely walking opportunities for nature connection and we can’t wait for users to experience the delights of East Lothian on one of our self-guided walking trails.’
Highlight of these fantastic walks include:
● The River Esk Walkway to Town Centre is a linear walking route around Musselburgh. Beginning at the train station, the route follows the River Esk, passing historic railway bridges, nature reserves and public art pieces.
● The Sea to Summit Walking Challenge takes users around North Berwick. Enjoy shop hopping at independent businesses, pass the stunning North Berwick Bay and learn more about local birds at the Scottish SeaBird Centre. A shorter version of this walk, North Berwick Town and Sea is also available and is perfect for those who are short on time. Want to visit the summit but are short on time? Scramble up the Law is an hour's walk climbing the summit, whilst enjoying panoramic views.
● Explore Pencaitland on the Town and Country Railway Circuit. A great leg stretcher for all the family, following an old railway line and public footpaths, with gorgeous country views.
● In Haddington there are two accessible walks available. The River Tyne Bankside Stroll is a short, wheelchair friendly route through the riverside town of Haddington. This traffic-free route passes beautiful green space, historic landmarks and a quaint independent high street too. The High Street Stroll to Riverside is a much shorter walk through the high street to the river.
● The Coastal Cliffs walk is a circular jaunt around Dunbar. Users can enjoy coastal ocean views, take part in a spot of bird watching and support local independent businesses en-route. For those requiring a step-free, shorter version there is the Coastal Cliffs Trail (Step Free) to enjoy.
● Prestonpans & Cockenzie Loop is a step-free loop, beginning at the railway station, reaching Cockenzie, passing a number of historically interesting sites.
The new walks can be found by downloading the Go Jauntly app and searching for East Lothian.
See below links to the collection of East Lothian walking routes.
1. River Esk Walkway to Town Centre, Musselburgh https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/1180284477645918700
2. Sea to Summit Challenge Walk, North Berwick https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/1446511512996680172
3. North Berwick Town and Sea, North Berwick https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/3904837557140197868
4. Scramble up the Law, North Berwick https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/669466546002596332
5. Town and Country Railway Circuit, Pencaitland https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/876356030358884844
6. River Tyne Bankside Stroll, Haddington https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/17484823293579956716
7. High Street Stroll to the Riverside, Haddington https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/7366663115627434476
8. Coastal Cliffs Circular Trail, Dunbar https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/5801258418693476844
9. Coastal Cliffs Trail (Step Free), Dunbar https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/17831392907045769708
10. Prestonpans & Cockenzie Loop, Prestonpans https://app.gojauntly.com/walk/15582758547669258732