During Dementia Awareness Week there will be a number of events and information available at local libraries
East Lothian Libraries and Customer Services are helping raise awareness about Dementia across East Lothian, supporting local residents to find resources, advice and groups for people with dementia and their carers.
As part of the ‘A Collective Force for Health and Wellbeing’ Action plan, East Lothian Libraries has been part of the Alzheimer Scotland pathfinder programme which has included:
- Dementia Friends Scotland training for staff
- Supporting dementia friendly communities
- Providing health information for those living with dementia through leaflets and signposting
- Supporting prevention of dementia through Brain Health App, activities and books
- Stocking a specialist range of books and resources
- Developing partnerships with local dementia organisations including Alzheimer Scotland, Dunbar Dementia Network, Dementia Friendly East Lothian and signposting to their services
- Running inclusive activities and groups.
During Dementia Awareness Week 29 May to 4 June there will be a number of events and opportunities across the libraries which include:
Dementia Awareness Stand - This enhanced display includes leaflets, posters, dementia books and resources, information about e-resources, Scottish Book Trust Reading is Caring DVDs. Information about Brain Health and Purple Alert App and Alzheimer Scotland Services.
- Mon 29 May – Dunbar Library
- Tue 30 May – Musselburgh Library
- Wed 31 May – Prestonpans Library
- Thurs 1 June – Haddington Library
- Fri 2 and Sat 3 June - Tranent Library
Alzheimer Scotland – Dementia Friends Scotland – supporting the delivery of two free local sessions for the public to participate in Dementia Friends Scotland.
Dementia Friends Scotland is Alzheimer Scotland initiative to raise awareness of dementia and reduce stigma. Dementia Friends Scotland | Alzheimer Scotland (alzscot.org) The sessions will be delivered by Michael Huddleston, Alzheimer Scotland Dementia Advisor, Mid & East Lothian.
- Mon 29 May – Dunbar Library Gibb Room 2 from 2pm to 3pm To book call 01620 827 827
- Wed 31 May – Prestonpans Library Community room from 3pm to 4pm To book call 01875 818 150
Alzheimer Scotland – Information and Advice Session
Michael Huddleston, Alzheimer Scotland Dementia Advisor, Mid & East Lothian will be available to answer questions from the local community.
- Mon 29 May – Dunbar Library – 1pm to 2pm and 3pm to 4pm.
- Wed 31 May – Prestonpans Library – 2pm to 3pm and 4pm to 5pm.
Dunbar Dementia Network – Carers Support Group
Dunbar Dementia Network SCIO exists to provide both regular and special support to those caring for others who are living with a diagnosis of a dementia related condition. There will be information about this local support service in Dunbar Library from Monday 29 May until Saturday 3 June.
Lorna Bunney, Carers Support Group Coordinator, will be available in Dunbar Library from 2pm on Monday 29 May to answer questions.
The carers support group meet on a Thursday from 2.30pm to 3.30pm at Dunbar Library in the Gibb Room. For further info contact 01620 870 632 or email@example.com
East Linton Library will be running an inter-generational Bookbug session with the local day care centre on Monday 29 May
Gullane Library are running a drop in tea and cake session with Gullane Dementia Friends Group and Gullane Village Association on Tuesday 30 May time tbc. They are also have information of new hobbies and skills to learn developed with Gullane Dementia Friends Group.