An update on the scheme to reduce flood risk in Musselburgh was provided at a meeting of East Lothian Council on Tuesday, 17 February.

Last September a preliminary decision was made to confirm the proposed Musselburgh Flood Protection Scheme without modifications during a special meeting of Council.

The scheme will now be considered by a public local inquiry (PLI) and the final decision on whether it progresses will be taken by Scottish Ministers independently of the council.

At Tuesday’s meeting, councillors were informed that Ministers have appointed a Reporter to lead the PLI.

Council officers advised the inquiry is likely to start by this autumn and preparation work has commenced for those sessions. The council’s participation in the PLI will be led by its legal services department, supported by the project team, while external legal assistance is also being engaged.

Councillors were told the inquiry’s venue has not been decided, but it is expected to take place in or near Musselburgh with the sessions open to the public and recorded for viewing online.

Council officers advised the length of time needed for the Reporter to prepare their report, or how long Minsters may take to consider it prior to making their decision, was not known but it is estimated the inquiry itself may last between 12 and 24 months.

Best solutions

East Lothian Council leader Norman Hampshire said: “As preparations for the Public Local Inquiry continue, the council is looking forward to working with Ministers and participating in this process.

“The PLI will give anyone with an objection to the current proposals the opportunity to express their concerns before Ministers make their decision.

“We remain committed to finding the best solutions to mitigate the risk of flooding in Musselburgh.”

Tuesday’s meeting was also given an update on last month’s decision by the Scottish Government and COSLA (Convention of Scottish Local Authorities) to impose funding caps on Cycle 1 flood protection projects across the country, including the Musselburgh scheme.

Elected members heard the Musselburgh project team is reviewing the impact of this decision and will report back to Council on how best to progress the scheme under these new financial constraints. This will include a plan to begin detailed design work at an earlier stage as a possible mitigation to help ensure the scheme’s delivery if Scottish Ministers give their approval following the PLI.

Extensive engagement

Following the Minister’s decision in December last year to ‘call in’ the Musselburgh scheme for a PLI, it has been referred to the Planning and Environmental Appeals Division in the Scottish Government who will appoint a Reporter. Once a Reporter is appointed, it is understood they will contact all relevant objectors.

The proposed scheme, which aims to reduce flood risk for up to 3,200 properties in the Musselburgh area, moved to the next stage of development following September’s Council meeting in accordance with the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009.

Councillors further agreed that the project team, working in consultation with the planning authority, should seek to deliver 54 changes to the proposed scheme.

The scheme has been developed to bring about a major reduction to the flood risk to Musselburgh, preventing flood water spilling onto the natural flood plains on which the town was built over the centuries. It takes into account the increasing threat of flooding posed from the river, the coast, and the impacts of climate change.

Extensive engagement was carried out with the local community to develop the proposals.

Published: Tuesday, 17th February 2026