Local libraries in East Lothian
|Monday||9.30 am - 7.30 pm|
|Tuesday||9.30 am - 9.00 pm|
|Wednesday||10.00 am - 5.00 pm|
|Thursday||9.30 am - 7.30 pm|
|Friday||9.30 am - 5.00 pm|
|Saturday||10.00 am - 4.00 pm|
|Sunday||1.00 pm - 4.00 pm|
New in stock
We are closed over the Easter weekend. Friday 18thApril until Monday 21st April inclusive. Open Tuesday 22nd 9.30am.
- Storytimes for under 5s, Thursdays at 10.30am and 2.30pm
- Bookbug sessions - fantastic free story, song and rhyme sessions for babies, toddlers, pre-school children and their families - take place every Wednesday at 10.30am and 11.15am
- Chatterbooks - every fortnight, 3.30pm - 4.30pm for 8-12 year olds
- Homework club for 8 to 12 year olds on Wednesdays, 3.30pm-4.30pm. The pupils are expected to do their homework, and after that there may be time for some games! This is an extremely popular group and may be full, but if you are interested, please contact the library or ask any member of staff
- Tyne and Esk Writers group, 7.00pm, alternate Tuesday evenings
- Sports reminiscence sessions. Drop in and share your sporting memories. Pie and Bovril at half time. Every Tuesday from 10am - 12 noon. Particularly aimed at older (60+) men
- Tyne and Esk Poetry Group meets on the first Tuesday of the month 2.00pm - 4.00pm in the Star Room, John Gray Centre
- Lunchtime book group on the first Tuesday of the month, 12.15pm to 1.00pm
- Evening book group on the third Tuesday of the month, 7.30pm to 8.30pm
- First click computer taster sessions or iPad learner sessions available on demand
- Made in Haddington. Bring your craft along - sewing, knitting, embroidery, crochet, tapestry, jewellery making, card craft etc. and enjoy a chat at the same time. Beginners to experts all welcome. Learn a new skill or share your expertise. Every friday, 10.00am - 12 noon.
- Online basics for Job Seekers. Help with setting up e-mails, scanning, attaching documents, using the internet. Every Thursday afternoon, 2.00-4.00pm. Free, drop in
"CAN DO" Creative! Have you been inspired by Kirsty Allsop's upcycling creative crafts, but never tried them out yourself? Come along to any of our crafty classes and with step by step guidance, create something pretty, practical or perfect for a present - we guarantee you'll end up with something to take away on the day! Fridays 10.00am-12 noon. Just drop in and pay on the day, £3.00 a session, every week until 11th April
Display: Carbon Conversations. This is a local Group who want to advise people how to live a greener lifestyle. This is a prelude to classes they are going to run in the Star Room in April. Contact the library for further information.
We are holding a display on St Mary’s Pleasance garden from Monday 31st March until 17th April. Come and find out more about this beautiful hidden gem in Haddington which the community can enjoy.
Easter Crafts Tuesday 15th April 2.30pm-3.30pm. £2.50 per child. Spaces limited. Book a place at the library 01620 820680. Join in some jolly Springtime fun. Primary age chidren.
Easter Bunny Sleepover Tuesday 15th April. Our last Teddy bear sleepover saw some very naughty bears. If you want to see how your bunny or cuddly friend behaves overnight in the library then drop them off at the library on Tuesday before 5pm. Collect them the next day before 5pm and find out what they got up to on facebook!
Our Homework Club is finished for the Spring Term and resumes on Wednesday 30th April. For further details, contact the library 01620 820680.
Hand Made Haddington are celebrating their 1st Birthday with cake and a show of their craft work. Goods will also be on sale. Pop along from 10-12 on Saturday 5th April and enjoy delicious cake and meet members of this group. You can join them any Friday from 10am -12pm. All levels of abilities welcome. Everyone helps each other.
Advance notice of an event not to be missed in May.
Mary Warnock, long jumper who is representing Scotland in the Commonwealth Games this year, is coming along to tell us about her Commonwealth Journey on May 13th at 7.15pm in the Star Room. This is not to be missed as we are proud to have a local East Lothian girl to cheer along at the Games in July. Contact the library for any further information. 01620 820680
Write On is a series of author led events taking place at the John Gray Centre in Haddington between 30th May and 8th June 2014. Write On is a mini festival within the bigger Haddington Festival where authors from East Lothian will come together to put on a series of events aimed at raising the profile of local writers in the county through a creative programme. Some of the authors taking part are, Roddy Martine, Debi Gliori, Gerry Urwin, Linda Strachan, Sally Collins (illustrator), Erin Kaye, Marie MacPherson, and Bill Graham to name a few, and we are being supported by many others.
Write On is supported by the John Gray Centre to bring this lively programme to as wide an audience as possible.
Writer Aloud: a lively evening of readings from some local authors. We will invite 12 writers to contribute to the programme and have an open mike slot at the end of the evening for anyone who would like to participate. Tuesday 3rd June 7-9pm Star Room £2 on the door for Adults/young people
Inspiring Writers (panel event): Interesting and lively event where four local writers in different genres will talk about their work and take questions. Thursday 5th June 7-9pm Star Room £2 on the door. For adults/young people
Kids Stuff – Family Event: Kids creative session where they illustrate their favourite story and display their creations on the walls of the Star Room. Friday 6th June 1.30-4.30pm Library Free
- Diary to record community events
- Free internet access
- Music CDs
- Online library catalogue
- Newspapers and magazines
- Photocopier (colour/black and white)
- Public access computers and colour printer (A4 & A3) Scanner
- Area for small exhibitions and lockable display cabinet available for community use
- Areas for study
- Study guides available to borrow
- Wi-Fi - free access to the internet. Available 24/7 after initial registration
- Coffee Machine
- Tourist information
- Public toilets including disabled and changing toilet
- Star room with kitchen and smartboard available at variable hourly rates, depending on the status of the organisation