East Lothian Council

Comments, complaints and compliments

How to complain?

Contact us in any way listed on the Contacting the Council page.

When complaining, tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter.

Our procedure for dealing with complaints has 2 stages:

Stage 1 - Frontline Resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology, an explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at Stage 1 in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can't resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next. We might suggest that you take your complaint to Stage 2.

Stage 2 - Investigation

Stage 2 deals with complaints that have not been resolved at Stage 1 and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.

At Stage 2 we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

Education Complaints

Stage 1 complaints about schools should be dealt with directly by the school concerned.

If you are making a complaint about bullying, Anti-bullying East Lothian (ABEL) is a good source of advice and information; you may find it helpful to phone them on 0131 653 5234.

If your child has additional support needs, under the Additional Support for Learning Act, and you are still dissatisfied, you have the right to request independent mediation.

If your child has a co-ordinated Support Plan, the matter can also be raised at a tribunal.

What is not a complaint?

  • a first request for a service or information
  • where a person has a legal right of appeal
  • where legal action is in progress.

John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 0131 653 5290

If your complaint is about housing, more information is available on the Housing Complaints page.

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.