We follow the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman's standard complaints handling procedures. If you have a concern, we will do our best to resolve it. We will also make sure you know what to expect at each stage.
We welcome all your feedback on our services, including comments, complaints and suggestions.
You can also contact Customer Feedback Team by phone or email, or write to the address provided.
- Monday to Thursday between 9am and 5pm
- Friday from 9am until 4pm.
Positive feedback is important for us, so please compliment us on services you think we are getting right.
Find out how we will deal with your complaint:
We will keep your complaint confidential. Only those who need to know in order to investigate will see the details. We are committed to providing quality services for the people of East Lothian.
Issues that are not complaints
We do not regard the following as complaints:
- a first request for services
- a Freedom of Information Act or Data Protection Act request
- a request for information or an explanation of policy or practice.
There are some things we can't deal with under the complaints process. These include:
- insurance claims
- the merits of planning decisions
- planning applications that are still being considered
- complaints that are in court or have been heard by a court or tribunal
- where a statutory right of appeal exists (e.g. parking tickets or housing benefit)
- any service where you can use other methods to appeal (e.g. exclusions from school or pupil placements)
- complaints against Councillors, which have to be made in writing to the Standards Commission
- dissatisfaction with decisions by the Council, Council committees or sub-committees. These should be taken up with the appropriate councillor.