Housing Benefit - Who can claim

In most circumstances if you are of working age and need help with your housing costs, you must claim this through Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You must apply online for Universal Credit.

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension Age
  • you're in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

You can make a new claim if:

  • you're living in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B arranged by your council
  • you're living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse
  • you're living in sheltered or supported housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with 'care, support or supervision'

If you think you may be entitled, you should claim as soon as possible. Delay may result in loss of benefit. 

Download claim form

How it is paid

If you are a private tenant we will pay your Housing Benefit to your bank or building society account. Payment is 2 weeks in arrears.

In some circumstances, we can pay your landlord directly 4 weeks in arrears.

If you are a Council Tenant Housing Benefit is paid directly to your rent account.

If you need help or advice with your Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Reduction, we will be able to help.

For example, if you:

  • are unsure of what benefit/reduction you are entitled to
  • need help to make a claim
  • think your benefit/reduction is wrong
  • have been turned down for a benefit/reduction you think you're entitled to
  • have been awarded less (or more) benefit/reduction than you think you're entitled to
  • have a change of circumstances (e.g. you've gone into/come out of a hospital or a care home, your household has changed or you have more savings)

If we can't help, we can advise you who can. Please contact us so we can find out the best way to take your query forward.