Comments can be made by anyone and can be objections, support or observations about the application. Comments on planning applications must include your name and address or name and email address and cannot be treated as confidential as they will form part of the public record once a decision has been made on the application. Comments will not appear on the Council website.

If you are commenting online we recommend that you type your comments into a blank document first then copy it into the online comment box.

For additional guidance we have created this pictorial guide to the online comment process.

How to comment on planning applications

Comment on a planning application online

You can also comment, which must include your name and address or name and email address, by emailing us or by writing a letter to us, contact details are on this page.

How to comment on an ECU application

If you wish to comment or object to an energy consent application (a proposed construction, operation or extension of electricity generating stations with capacity in excess of 50 megawatts) direct your represenation to the Scottish Government Energy Consents Unit (ECU).

Comment on an energy consent application

Is there a time period for making a comment/representation?

It is important to be aware that there are time limits within which you must submit your comments to us.

Planning applications are sometimes notified through a neighbour notification notice, through a site notice posted at the site and/ or though the statutory planning notice in the local press. You have 21 days, from whichever is the later date given in the aforementioned notice(s), to submit your comments.

In exceptional circumstances the planning case officer may agree an extension to this period.

What you can comment on

We can take into account material planning considerations. These cover a wide range of issues including:

  • loss of privacy
  • loss of trees
  • loss of daylight
  • visual appearance
  • traffic generation and road safety
  • noise or smell
  • development plan
  • impact on listed buildings and/or conservation areas
  • impact of increased activity

Matters that are not material to planning application assessment and cannot be considered include:

requirements under building regulations or other non-planning laws such as structural stability, fire precautions or the like private issues between neighbours such as party wall disputes, damage to property, private rights of ways, covenants or the like

  • loss of a view
  • property values
  • commercial competition
  • alternative types of development you might prefer