Mortgage to rent

If you are in danger of losing your home, the Council or a local housing association may be able to buy it, and rent it back to you as a tenant.  We work with the Scottish Government, to help households in mortgage difficulties to remain in their own homes.

Mortgage to Rent may not be the best option for everyone. To find out whether it is the right one for your situation, you must first obtain money advice from Citizens Advice. This is compulsory if you wish to apply for the scheme.

Please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau:

Haddington CAB on 01620 824471
Musselburgh CAB on 0131 653 2748 or 0131 653 2544

If you are a disabled home owner, you may be eligible for the Access Ownership scheme - allowing you to reduce your outgoings without having to move.

Read help to keep your home on the Scottish Government website - including information about mortgage to rent.