Provision of Temporary Accommodation

Under certain circumstances we have a legal obligation to provide temporary accommodation, if required. Your Housing Options officer will advise you on accommodation options as part of the service they provide.

1. Furnished tenancies

2. Bed and breakfast

3. Where will I be offered

4. Charges

5. Specialist supported accommodation for single people

6. Domestic Abuse


1. Furnished tenancies

We have a number of temporary homes in a range of locations throughout East Lothian. These are individual properties, which are furnished and available to homeless families or individuals. Some of these are council owned, others are housing association houses rented to the Council and a number are owned by private landlords and are leased to the Council for this purpose.

2. Bed and breakfast accommodation

In emergency circumstances, we use bed and breakfast accommodation to provide temporary accommodation. As with other forms of temporary accommodation we will consider education, employment and family support and try and place people in accommodation which causes the least impact to their circumstances.

3.Where will I be offered

In identifying temporary accommodation we will consider a range of issues such as education, employment and family support. We try to place people in accommodation that causes the least impact on their social circumstances. We will endeavour to provide accommodation which meets your social circumstances but your final placement may be outwith your preferred areas.


Furnished properties - You will be charged the rent for the property, the appropriate council tax and any service charges related to the property.

Bed and breakfast - The Council charges for B and B accommodation. All applicants are expected to pay at least £15 per week towards the costs the accommodation. Depending on your financial circumstances you may have to pay an additional charge.

5.Specialist supported accommodation for single people

The Council has access to specialist supported accommodation for single people in different locations throughout East Lothian. You can discuss these with your officer and any potential referrals to them.

6.Domestic Abuse

Specialist temporary accommodation can also be made available to women fleeing domestic abuse by East and Midlothian Women's Aid. Applicants can approach Womens Aid directly or their Housing Options officer will contact Womens Aid to find out if any vacancies exist, as part of their assessment of temporary accommodation needs. Further information can be found on the Women's Aid - East & Midlothian website.