We provide free home to school (HTS) transport for East Lothian pupils who live more than two miles away from their local primary or secondary school.
The pupil's home address is defined as being that of their parent or legal guardian, not the address of a childminder or relative who may care for them on school days.
In the event of parental separation, the home address is defined as the address of the guardian receiving the Child Benefit payment.
Free school transport isn't available if you choose to send your child to a school that isn't their local primary or secondary school.
Please contact your school office for advice on how to submit an electronic application form for HTS transport. Paper applications are no longer issued.
Return to school August 2020
New arrangements have been put in place from August 2020 to safeguard the health and wellbeing of all passengers, drivers and escorts. These arrangements apply whether you travel on a contracted route, public service using a smart card, or in a taxi. Additional buses are in operation as primary and secondary pupils can no longer share transport, even if they are from the same family group. Bus times may also have changes.
The measures have been brought in following extensive work with our transport providers and in line with Government guidance and risk assessments.
We ask that all families read the information they receive with their passes and discuss it with their children and young people.
To use home to school transport you will need:
- A face covering (if a medical exemption applies you should carry an exemption card, available here)
- Hand sanitiser or freshly washed hands
- A valid pass for travel.
Failing to carry out these actions could mean passengers are not allowed to use the home to school transport.
We encourage high school pupils to use public transport whenever possible. It is important each student has a valid Young Person Card with an up-to-date photograph on it. To order a new / replacement card or, to update your photograph, please contact your school office. They will arrange for your card to be issued and programmed through our Transport Services team. Requests must come to us from your school office in the first instance.
Smartcards are in use on following routes:
Dunbar Grammar School
For East Linton-based pupils:
- 8am - East Linton Surgery (S1, S2, S4 and S6) - Eve Coaches
- 8am - Linton Hotel (S3 and S5) - Eve Coaches
Musselburgh Grammar School
- Service 111 Prentice Coaches for Whitecraig
- 8.05am - Whitecraig - East Lothian Council's Transport Services
- 8am - Wallyford - 1 X 60 seater at Wallyford Miners and 2 X 60 seater at Salters bus stop - AC Taxis
Preston Lodge High School
- Service 124 East Coast Buses
- Service 128 East Coast Buses
- Service 118 Prentice Coaches - S5 & S6 pupils travelling from Longniddry should use this service.
- Service 111 Prentice Coaches
Preston Lodge High School pupils who usually travel with a Young Scot card will have these programmed in school w/c 17 August.
Ross High School
Ross High School pupils who usually travel with a Young Scot card will have these programmed in school w/c 17 August.
North Berwick High School
- Service 126 Aberlady and Luffness Mains East Coast Buses
- Service 125 Gullane East Coast Buses
- Service 124 Gullane East Coast Buses
- Service 127 Ballencrieff, Drem, Fenton Barnes, Dirleton East Coast Buses
- Service 121 Athelstaneford, Drem, Kingston, Fenton Barnes Eve Coaches
North Berwick High School pupils who usually travel with a Young Scot card will have these programmed in school w/c 17 August.
Mainstream transport between home and school
Eve Coaches routes
109 / 110 / 116 / 151 / 152 / 154 / 187 / 161 / 162 / 163 / 164 / 165 / 167
AC Taxis and minibus routes
101 / 103 / 104 / 105 / 16 / 107 / 108 / 112 / 115 / 121 / 122 / 126 / 127 / 158 / 159 / 160 / 166 / 168 / 169 / 170 / 171 / 173
Prentice Coaches routes
102 / 111 / 118 / 119 / 120
Alba Taxis routes
For Alba Taxis pick up times and locations please call 01875 815000.
Torrance Taxis routes
114 / 117 / 150 / 153 / 155 / 156
For Torrance Taxis pick up times and locations please call 01368 862612 or visit the Torrance Taxis website.