You may be able to get help with paying your Council Tax. Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is a Government scheme to help those on low incomes.

If you think you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction, you should claim as soon as possible. If you claim Universal Credit you must make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Reduction.

If you live alone, you can apply for a Single Person Discount.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

You can do this online or by downloading an application form, completing it and sending it to us.

Apply online for Council Tax Reduction

Download a Council Tax Reduction form

Once your claim has been accepted

Your council tax bill is reduced by the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are entitled to.

If your landlord or landlady pays the Council Tax for your home and includes a charge for the Council Tax in with your rent, then your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs (not Council Tax Reduction) will include an amount for the Council Tax.