Tell us about a change in tenancy

Landlords, make sure you tell us when tenants move in and out of your property so that we can collect Council Tax from the correct person.

This enables us to issue a bill while the tenant is still resident and prevents any liability disputes in the future.

Make sure you tell us about any change in tenancy within 21 days.

Between tenants, you as the property owner are responsible for paying Council Tax.

Report a change in tenancy

Your responsibilities as a landlord

Make sure you are registered.

All private landlords in Scotland must be registered on the Scottish Landlord Register and you will be asked to provide your landlord registration number to the Council Tax team.

We cannot register a tenant for Council Tax purposes until you as the owner of the property are fully registered. This means that you will be liable to pay any Council Tax due up to the date of registration.

Apply or renew your registration

Empty property reduction

If you property is empty, unfurnished or unoccupied at any time, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax. 

Failure to apply within 21 days will result in any reduction only being awarded from the date of application.

Apply for a reduction