For a number of years, the European Commission has encouraged the forging of links between different areas of Europe to encourage closer relationships of towns, cities and regions.
East Lothian has several active twinning links. We support these links and offer assistance to the various twinning associations to establish and promote cultural, educational, social, economic, tourist, youth and sporting exchanges.
We are twinned with the following communities:
- Dunbar with Lignieres, France - established in 1994.
- Dunbar with Martinez, California, United States - established in 1973 as the father of the national park system, John Muir, was born in Dunbar and later lived in Martinez).
- Haddington with Aubigny-sur-Nere, France - established in 1965.
- Musselburgh with Champigny-sur-Marne, Nr Paris, France - established in 1961.
- Musselburgh with Rosignano Marittimo, Tuscany, Italy - established in 1983. Champigny was already twinned with Rosignano, so a three-way link was considered advantageous.
- Prestonpans/Cockenzie/Port Seton & Longiddry with Barga, Italy - established in 2006 as a result of a mutual interest in the work of artist, John Bellany.
- As a county, East Lothian is twinned with Kreis Spree-Neisse, Germany - established in 1999.