Objections/representations to alcohol licence applications

Any person can object to or make a representation about an application for a premises licence. All objections or representation will be considered by the Board unless the Licensing Board decides that they are frivolous or vexatious.

An objection is made to the granting of the licence as a whole, asking for the application to be refused.

The Licensing Board can only refuse an application on certain grounds. The objection must relate to these. Grounds for refusal are:

  • they are excluded premises - these are generally garages unless there are special circumstances
  • a premises licence has been refused in the last year
  • it is an application for a 24 hour licence
  • off-sale hours are outside the times 10am to 10pm
  • the application is inconsistent with one or more of the licensing objectives:
    • Preventing crime and disorder
    • Protecting and improving public health
    • Preventing public nuisance
    • Protecting children from harm
    • Securing public safety
  • the premises are unsuitable for the sale of alcohol
  • overprovision

A representation can be virtually anything. It is not an objection to the granting of the licence as a whole but is more likely to suggest changes to the operating plan or the imposition of conditions.

If you require any further information regarding this you may wish to contact us via the details on this page.

How to object or make a representation

Objections and representations can be made by completing this document and sending it to:

Request for a Premise Licence Review can be made by completing this document and sending it to:

The Clerk to the Licensing Board
1st Floor
John Muir House
EH41 3HA

This can also be emailed to licensing@eastlothian.gov.uk.

The last date for lodging all objections and representations is shown on the premises licence advert on this website. Any objections or representations received after that date cannot be accepted even if they were sent within the time limit.


What happens if I object or make a representation 

Provided the Clerk does not decide that your objection or representation is frivolous or vexatious, a copy of your objection/representation will be sent to the applicant. A date for a hearing will be fixed and you can come to that meeting. The Board will also let you know its decision after the hearing.


Requesting a review of a Premises Licence in East Lothian

Any person may apply to their local Licensing Board for a review of a premises licence allowing the sale of alcohol.  Any concerns you have regaring the operation of a licensed premises should be discussed with either Police Scotland or East Lothian Council's Licensing Standards Officer.  You can find further information on requesting a review here.