If you are finding it difficult to undertake simple tasks or move around inside/outside your home, occupational therapy may be able to assist you.

What is occupational therapy?

Occupational therapy aims to find ways to support you so that you can live independently in your own home.

This could involve identifying a more suitable layout or simply finding new ways to manage household tasks.

It could also involve special equipment or an adaptation (e.g. a ramp to access your home, grab rails for extra support or installing an accessible shower or stairlift). The exact specification will depend on your needs and your property.

Who is the service for?

The occupational therapy service is available to people of all ages, including children, living in East Lothian. Services are only available following an assessment.

Depending on your needs, an occupational therapist or community care assistant may visit you. They will visit you at home to determine the extent of the problems you are facing and to discuss possible solutions. They will also work with colleagues in other council departments to find the solutions that will meet your needs best.

How much will it cost?

If you are a council or housing association tenant in East Lothian, there will be no charge for this service.

If you own your own home, we can provide many of the services free of charge. However major adaptations, such as a ramp or level access shower, could incur a contribution. This will depend on the outcome of a financial assessment for a Housing Improvement Grant. We will advise you of this following your assessment.

Assessment and eligibility for services

We use assessments to make sure our recommendations are appropriate, will address your needs and meet our eligibility criteria.

Learn more about arranging an assessment