John Muir's Birthplace
We are delighted to have reopened John Muir's Birthplace on 18th August 2020 after our temporary closure. In line with Scottish Government guidelines we have introduced a range of safety measures. All visits must now be prebooked, not all of our activities, exhibits or interactives are available at the moment and your visit might feel a little different, however, you can still expect the same friendly welcome and enjoyable visit. You can find more information about visiting on this page 'Visiting Safely'.
John Muir's life and work has inspired people all over the world. Discover how a boy born in Dunbar became one of the driving forces behind the global conservation movement.
Our absorbing hands-on interpretation centre will take you on a journey through John Muir's life as a pioneering conservationist, explorer, writer, geologist and inventor. Our friendly, well informed staff are always on hand to help and answer questions.
The building is fully accessible with three floors of family friendly interactive displays complemented by a lively programme (with more information on our events and exhibitions pages) and a shop offering books and gifts for all ages. More access information is available on the Euan's Guide website. We welcome group visits and would be delighted to discuss your requirements with you. You can also keep in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter @JM_Birthplace.
- 18th August 2020 to 31st October 2020: Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-5pm. Last entry 4pm.
- The museum is free to enter although there may be a small charge for some events or activities. Donations are welcome.
- Please email us through the link on this page to book your visit.
How to find us
- By train: the station is a 10 minute walk away.
- By bus: regular bus services run throughout the year to and from Edinburgh City Centre, Berwick-upon-Tweed and North Berwick.
- By bike: visitors on bikes are welcome and you can securely lock your bike just outside the museum.
- On foot: we are the official end of the John Muir Way and welcomes walkers.
- By car: we are signposted off the A1 and there is 1 hour of free parking available on the High Street. Further parking including coach parking is available at the Splash Leisure Pool. Electric car charging points are available at the Bleachingfield Car Park and on Spott Road.