Dunbar Town House Museum and Gallery
With its distinctive witch's hat tower and its bell, clock and sun dials, the Town House has been the focus of town life since the 16th century.
The building is home to a museum and gallery on the ground floor with changing historical and art exhibitions as well as a local history display area and research room managed by Dunbar and District History Society (temporairily closed). Our current programme can be found on the exhibitions and events pages or you can keep in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter, @DunbarTownHouse. There is information about the accessibility of the building on the Euan's Guide website. We welcome group visits and would be delighted to discuss your requirements with you.
Our staff are always on hand to chat about the town and the history of the building. On the upper floors there is a community room, available to council and community groups for meetings, displays and events, in addition to the Council Chambers, which can be booked for meetings, civil marriages and other functions (please note that we are unable to book meetings, functions or events at this time). The building was refurbished in 2010-12 by East Lothian Council with the support of Historic Environment Scotland. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements and for information about the current room hire charge rates.
- Closed until 31March 2021
- The museum is free to enter although there may be a small charge for some events and activities. Donations are welcome.
- Please email us via the link on this page to book your visit.
How to find us
- By train: the station is a 10 minute walk away
- By bus: regular bus services run throughout the year to and from Edinburgh City Centre, Berwick-upon-Tweed and North Berwick
- By bike: visitors on bikes are welcome and you can securely lock your bike just outside the museum
- On foot: Dunbar is the official end of the John Muir Way and we are delighted to welcome walkers
- By car: we are signposted off the A1 and there is 1 hour of free parking available on the High Street. Further parking including coach parking is available at Dunbar Leisure Pool. Electric car charging points are available at the Bleachingfield Car Park and on Spott Road