John Muir's Birthplace
John Muir's Birthplace has now reopened and in line with Scottish Government guidelines we have introduced a range of safety measures. Visits can be prebooked and we can be contacted using the contact details on this page. There are usually walk up slots available too. Not all of our activities, exhibits or interactives are available at the moment and your visit might feel a little different, however, you can still expect the same friendly welcome and enjoyable visit. You can find more information about visiting on this page 'Visiting Safely'.
John Muir's life and work has inspired people all over the world. Discover how a boy born in Dunbar became one of the driving forces behind the global conservation movement.
Our absorbing hands-on interpretation centre will take you on a journey through John Muir's life as a pioneering conservationist, explorer, writer, geologist and inventor. Our friendly, well informed staff are always on hand to help and answer questions.
The building is fully accessible with three floors of family friendly interactive displays complemented by a lively programme (with more information on our events and exhibitions pages) and a shop offering books and gifts for all ages. More access information is available on the Accessibility Guides website (external link). We welcome group visits and would be delighted to discuss your requirements with you. You can also keep in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter @JM_Birthplace (external link).
- The museum is free to enter although there may be a small charge for some events or activities. Donations are welcome.
- Please email us through the link on this page to book your visit.
How to find us
- by train: the station is a 10 minute walk away
- by bus: regular bus services run throughout the year to and from Edinburgh City Centre, Berwick-upon-Tweed and North Berwick
- by bike: visitors on bikes are welcome and you can securely lock your bike just outside the museum
- on foot: we are the official end of the John Muir Way and welcome walkers
- by car: we are signposted off the A1 and there is 1 hour of free parking available on the High Street - frther parking including coach parking is available at the Splash Leisure Pool. Electric car charging points are available at the Bleachingfield Car Park and on Spott Road