Dental care


For any and all dental issues, please contact your registered dentist in the first instance

Registered patients image of a man with this mouth open while a dentist gives him a dental exam

If you have a dental problem, you should call the dental practice that you normally attend in the first instance to discuss any treatment needs. 

If you have registered with a practice since June 2006 and have been seen for treatment, you will still be registered there (unless you have been notified otherwise).

Outside normal working hours, if you feel you have an urgent dental need, please contact NHS 24 on 111.

Unregistered patients

Unregistered patients requiring urgent dental care should refer to the Emergency Dental Care page. (NHS website).

Do not visit a dental surgery without an appointment. If you wish to find out if you can access urgent or routine treatment at your nearest dental practice you should telephone the dental practice in advance.

You can find out more about dental services here: Dentists – NHS Lothian (NHS website)

Find your nearest dentist (NHS Inform Dental Practice Listings)