Tell us about a change in tenancy

Landlords, we ask that any tenancy changes are reported to the council tax team within 21 days.  This enables us to issue a Council Tax bill whilst the tenant is still resident in the property and prevents any liability disputes in the future. 

Failure to report tenancy changes can result in the wrong liability being recorded and any debt recovery action being taken against the wrong person, with legal costs being incurred.  We want to make sure we avoid this and work with you to ensure our records are up-to-date.

Any gap in Council Tax liability will be charged to the owner of the property. 

Report a change in tenancy

Your responsibilities as a landlord

Make sure you are registered.

All private landlords in Scotland must be registered on the Scottish Landlord Register and you will be asked to provide your landlord registration number to the Council Tax team.

We cannot register a tenant for Council Tax purposes until you as the owner of the property are fully registered. This means that you will be liable to pay any Council Tax due up to the date of registration.

Apply or renew your registration

Empty property reduction

If you property is empty, unfurnished or unoccupied at any time, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax. 

Failure to apply within 21 days will result in any reduction only being awarded from the date of application.

Apply for a reduction