East Lothian Council

Licences - taxis/private hire cars - A to Z

Service Outline

On-street taxi ranks are provided for use by licensed taxis in town centres and places where it has been identified that they would be beneficial.

Individuals who wish to drive an East Lothian licensed taxi or private hire car will require to obtain a Taxi Driver's Licence

Taxi/private hire business operators require to licence the vehicles separately from drivers, so that if you are an owner/driver you will require both types of licence to operate the business and drive one of your vehicles.

Taxi/Private Hire Drivers

If you want to drive a taxi or private hire car you will need a taxi driver's licence. 

How to apply

You will need to fill in an application form.  When you lodge your application you will need to bring your current DVLA drivers licence (the card and paper part if new style), along with 2 passport photos and the fee.  You may also need to complete a medical form.

Find out more about Taxi and Private Hire Licensing

Licensing Office

Telephone: 01620 827217/827867

John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Transportation Division

Telephone: 01875 824305

John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Search the A to Z

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.