Breast feeding friendly services
In Scotland it is a legal right for a woman to feed her baby whenever and wherever she needs to do so. In East Lothian we want to encourage premises open to the public to go one step further by providing additional support for breastfeeding mothers.
The Breastfeeding Friendly Premises Award helps Mothers to feel more confident breastfeeding in public whilst assisting local businesses and agencies to actively contribute to the health and wellbeing of their community.
Achieving accreditation is simple. Following an initial note of interest a site visit is usually carried out by a Health Care worker or their representative.
In order for premises to be eligible they must:
- provide a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding mothers
- allow them to breastfeed in all public areas
- be clean and comfortable
- and have a statement of intent or policy (a generic one is available) that is communicated to all staff.
In addition it is desirable for staff to identify a private area for those mothers who request it, although this is not essential.
A certificate of accreditation is awarded. Promotional glass stickers are given and the premises are included in the promotional brochure.
Contact: Lucy Harkins , NHS Lothian Infant Feeding Advisor email@example.com
Further Breastfeeding Information and support:
- NHS Health Scotland ‘Feedgood factor’
- NHS Lothian Breastfeeding Support.