Enrolling your child for Primary One (P1) starting in August 2024
Arrangements are now in place to enrol pupils to primary one (P1) for August 2024 across East Lothian schools.
Any child whose fifth birthday falls between 1 March 2024 (born 1 March 2019) and the last day of February 2025 (born 29 February 2020) is eligible to start school in August 2024.
You should enrol your child online. The online P1 enrolment period will be live on our website from 13 November 2023 to 4 December 2023.
P1 enrolment arrangements for starting P1 in August 2024
If your child is age-eligible to start school in August 2024 and you live in the East Lothian Council area you should enrol your child for P1 in your catchment primary school using our online P1 enrolment form.
If you previously deferred your child’s entry to P1 from August 2023 to August 2024, you should also enrol your child for P1 now.
The online P1 enrolment period is from 13 November 2023 to 4 December 2023.
- if your child attends a nursery class in an East Lothian primary school you must still submit an online P1 enrolment form for the catchment primary school
- every home address is located in a school catchment area and for some areas there is also a local Roman Catholic school - check the catchment maps on our website
- if you can't check your address on the catchment maps - email email@example.com for clarification on your catchment school
- you must resident in East Lothian to enrol for a place in Primary 1 and be living at the address entered on the P1 online enrolment form (proof of address is required). If you are moving address in the coming months - email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on the process to follow
- if you are applying for a Roman Catholic school, please note we often receive more applications than places available, for that reason we have asked you for some additional information in the form - places will be confirmed by the end of April 2024
- if you are applying for a catchment place in all other schools, please note that no further action is required, and a catchment place is automatically allocated after you submit the online P1 enrolment form. Parents/carers do not receive any further confirmation of the catchment P1 place. In the unlikely situation of there being more applications than places available in a school, we will contact parents before the end of February 2024
Non-catchment placing requests
Although most children attend their catchment school, parents may make an application for any other school under the management of East Lothian Council. This is called a non-catchment placing request.
If you intend to make a placing request, you should still submit an online P1 enrolment form for the catchment primary school - read about making a non-catchment placing request
If you want to defer your child's entry to P1 for a year, you should still submit an online P1 enrolment form for the catchment primary school at this point so that a place can be held for your child.
The process to defer entry to P1 takes place between January and March 2024. Application information will be distributed to early years’ settings in January 2024.
Completing the online enrolment form
The form takes around 10 minutes to complete. Applications must be completed in one session. On successful completion of the form you will receive a confirmation email and a copy of your form.
Make sure you have these documents ready before you start, so you can upload them:
- an image file or electronic copy of a utility bill dated within the last 6 months
- an image file or electronic copy of your child’s birth certificate - not required if your child already attends an East Lothian Council nursery or a funded provider/childminder that is in partnership with East Lothian Council
- an image file or electronic copy of your child’s Roman Catholic baptism certificate - only for Roman Catholic school applications, if applicable
We accept photographs or screenshots if we can see the whole document clearly.
The parental details and address provided on the P1 online enrolment form will be checked against the Council Tax record to verify residence within the primary school catchment area.
Advice and more information
If you have any questions email email@example.com for advice.
Read more information on school enrolment and non-catchment placing requests in the School Enrolment booklet.