Council Tax charges 2019/20
It was agreed at a full council meeting on Tuesday 12 February 2019, to increase Council Tax levels for the financial year 2019/20 by 4.79 percent. The band D level of Council Tax is £1,242.48 for the year.
Your Council Tax bill includes charges for your water supply and waste water collection services from Scottish Water. Although we collect these charges on behalf of Scottish Water, we are not responsible for setting these charges. Scottish Water's charges will increase by 1.6 percent in 2019/20. If you would like more information about this, please contact Scottish Water.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax. For example, if you are on a low income or out of work or if you are the sole resident in a property. You may even be entitled to other welfare benefits but don't know what to apply for.
We can help.
If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax or need advice about what you might be entitled to, then get in touch.
Our Council Tax officers can:
- Discuss payment options with you to make sure you pay your Council Tax at a time that suits you, whether weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- Discuss a repayment arrangement with you if you have fallen behind with your payments and are struggling to catch up
- Make sure you have applied for any Council Tax discount or exemption you may be entitled to
- Put you in touch with the Council's Benefits team to check if you are entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax if you are on a low income or out of work
- Help you to get in touch with other organisations if you have other debts, for example Citizens Advice Bureau
- Put you in touch with the Council's Welfare Rights team to check if you are entitled to any welfare benefits and help you to claim. Our Welfare Rights team can also help if you are claiming Universal Credit and struggling to manage your monthly payments
We will do what we can to help you, so please get in touch straight away if you have any concerns.
Council Tax Charges 2019/20
A full list of bandings and values for East Lothian is shown in the table below:
|Band / Valuation range||East Lothian 4.79% increase||Council Tax||Water charge||Waste water charge||Total charge|
Up to £27,000
£27,000 to £35,000
£35,000 to £45,000
£45,000 to £58,000
£58,000 to £80,000
£80,000 to £106,000
£106,000 to £212,000