Political make up of the council
There are 22 elected Councillors in total who are responsible for agreeing policies about provision of services and how the council's money is spent.
The council usually meets once a month and is responsible for taking decisions, but it can delegate decisions to Committees, Sub-Committees or officers. The council meeting is made up of all the councillors elected to East Lothian Council.
View details of all council and committee meetings
|Political Party||Number of Councillors|
|Scottish National Party||6|
|Scottish Green Party||1|
East Lothian Council has a minority Labour Administration.
Political Leaders chosen by the Administration
- Leader of the Council: Councillor Norman Hampshire
- Depute Leader: Councillor Shamin Akhtar
- Provost: Councillor John McMillan
- Depute Provost: Councillor Andy Forrest
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Planning: Councillor Norman Hampshire
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Health and Social Care: Councillor Shamin Akhtar
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Education and Children's and Family Services: Councillor Fiona Dugdale
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Housing and Property Maintenance: Councillor Andy Forrest
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Community Wellbeing and Sport, Countryside and Leisure: Councillor Colin McGinn
- Cabinet Spokesperson for Environment, Economic Development and Tourism: Councillor John McMillan
The Leader of the Opposition is Councillor Lyn Jardine.