Apply for a bus pass
How to apply
You can apply for a National Entitlement Card (bus pass) online at getyournec.scot. From here you can also:
- Request a photo update
- Request a replacement card
- Apply to renew an expired/expiring card
If you are unable to apply online you can also apply at your local library
If you are over 60 or have a disability, you could be eligible for free bus travel to get around Scotland and your local area. You can access this via the National Entitlement Card, your pass to free bus travel in Scotland
The National Entitlement Card scheme also allows for free travel for companions where required by eligible disabled people of any age (including children under 5).
Further information can be found by visiting Transport Scotland’s website Eligibility and Conditions for the 60+ or Disabled Traveller (transport.gov.scot)
You will need to provide the following documents to prove your eligibility:
- proof of person (for example: birth certificate (unless your name has changed) or current passport or current driving licence or marriage certificate
- proof of your current address (for example: a utility bill or bank statement or television licence or council tax bill or HMRC or DWP letter)
Applicants with a disability will need to show additional proof of entitlement. A full list of accepted proofs can be found here.
Library staff will check and validate your documents before accepting your application for processing.
If you are unable to attend your local library you can also email email@example.com with the following information:
- a photograph
- proof of person
- proof of your current address
- proof of disability entitlement (if required)
- contact telephone and email address
You should receive your card within three weeks of applying. If you haven't received your card within this timescale, please call 01620 827 827 and ask for Bus Pass.
Who can use your card?
You are the only person allowed to use your National Entitlement Card. Allowing someone else to use it is fraud and may lead to the card being cancelled and your entitlement to Scotland-wide free bus travel being withdrawn.
How we use your data
For a summary of how your personal data is used when you apply for a National Entitlement Card, download our National Entitlement Card Privacy Notice.