John Gray Centre Museum
Discover the history of East Lothian in 1000 objects in this innovative, interactive museum at the heart of the county. Uncover how ordinary and extraordinary people earned their living and spent their time from the Stone Age to the present day.
The Museum is part of the John Gray Centre which is a fully accessible venue. Detailed access information is available on the Euan's Guide website. The Centre also contains Haddington Library, East Lothian Archives and Local History Centre. We welcome group visits and would be delighted to discuss your requirements with you. We have Talking Museum Audio Guides for the visually impaired. Our current programme information can be found on our website (external link) or you can keep up with us on Facebook or Twitter @JohnGrayCentre.
In line with Scottish Government guidelines we have introduced a range of safety measures at the John Gray Centre Museum. All visits must now be prebooked, not all of our activities, exhibits or interactives are available at the moment and your visit might feel a little different, however, you can still expect the same friendly welcome and enjoyable visit. You can find more information about visiting on this page 'Visiting Safely'.
- 1 November 2020 to 31 March 2021: Wednesday to Friday 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm (last entry time 3:45pm).
- the Museum is free to enter although there may be a small charge for some events and activities. Donations are welcome.
- please email us via the link on this page to book your visit.
How to find us
- by train: the nearest station is located at Drem which is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the John Gray Centre or a short bus journey
- by bus: a number of buses operate services that come to Haddington
- by bike: visitors on bikes are welcome and you can securely lock your bike just outside the centre
- on foot: the Centre is located in the centre of Haddington close to a number of walking routes
- by car: there is limited car parking at the Centre with a number of spaces reserved for disabled visitors. There is free parking for 90 minutes on Haddington High Street, or for 3 hours at the nearby Tesco store. The Centre is signposted off the A1 and within Haddington. There are electric car charging points available John Muir House cark park, just a short distance from the Centre.