John Gray Centre Museum
Discover the history of East Lothian in 1000 objects in this innovative, interactive museum at the heart of the county. Uncover how ordinary and extraordinary people earned their living and spent their time from the Stone Age to the present day.
The Museum is part of the John Gray Centre which is a fully accessible venue. Detailed access information is available on the Euan's Guide website. The Centre also contains Haddington Library, East Lothian Archives and Local History Centre. We welcome group visits and would be delighted to discuss your requirements with you.
The museum is family friendly, in fact almost every display has something to touch and do with objects to handle, costumes to wear as well as film, oral histories, activity sheets, regular events and a postcard trail with stamps to collect. We also have Talking Museum Audio Guides for the visually impaired. Our current programme information can be found on the events and exhibitions pages or you can keep up with us on Facebook or Twitter @JohnGrayCentre.
- April to September - Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm, Saturday 10am to 4pm (closed for lunch 12:30pm to 1pm), Sunday 1pm to 4pm.
- October to March - As above but closed on a Wednesday and Thursday.
The Museum is free to enter although there may be a small charge for some events and activities. Donations are welcome.
How to find us
- By train: the nearest station is located at Drem which is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the John Gray Centre or a short bus journey.
- By bus: a number of buses operate services that come to Haddington.
- By bike: visitors on bikes are welcome and you can securely lock your bike just outside the Centre.
- On foot: the Centre is located in the centre of Haddington close to a number of walking routes.
- By car: there is limited car parking at the Centre with a number of spaces reserved for disabled visitors. There is free parking for 90 minutes on Haddington High Street, or for 3 hours at the nearby Tesco store. The Centre is signposted off the A1 and within Haddington. There are electric car charging points available John Muir House cark park, just a short distance from the Centre.