For people in crisis who need help to access free food, here are several services that may be able to help.
The East Lothian Food Bank
Open Monday to Friday, 10:00am to 2:00pm at 3 Civic Square, Tranent, East Lothian, EH33 1LH. The East Lothian Food bank provides a 3-4 day supply of groceries and fresh fruit and vegetables. Open to all on a referral basis. Works with referral partners across the county including Citizens Advice, East Lothian Council services, NHS services and local charities. For more information call 07516 510 617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
East Lothian Fareshare Hub
The East Lothian Fareshare Hub is located at the basement of Aldhammer House, Prestonpans High Street. Surplus supermarket food is currently available free of charge for community groups in East Lothian. To find out more email: email@example.com
Free school meals
East Lothian Friendly Food Network
- Basics Banks (Edinburgh City Mission) - provide a 3-4 day supply of both fresh and dried groceries. Open to all and referral needed from Social Work, Health, CAB, and East Lothian Council using the online referral form.
services available from Wallyford Community Centre, Whitecraig Village Hub and Musselburgh: pantry - providing food, toiletries, baby supplies, pet food and face masks. Opening hours, Monday to Thursday, 9:30am to 12noon Provided on a ‘call and collect’ basis. Phone 0131 653 2804 or private message the Community Centres’ Facebook pages - free confidential service
Preston, Seton, Gosford
- Pennypit Community Development Trust in Prestonpans - pantry, hardship fund, meals on wheels for socially isolated and family recipe packs open Monday to Saturday 11:00am to 1:00pm. Find out what's on on the Pennypit Community Development Trust FaceBook page.
- Foodbank Plus + Lighthouse Hub (Edinburgh City Mission) Prestonpans. Provide a 3-4 day supply of both fresh and dried groceries. Open to all and referral needed from Social Work, Health, CAB, and East Lothian Council using the online referral form.
- Port Seton Centre – open Monday to Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm. Drop in pantry of store cupboard and fresh ingredients and a hardship fund for support with food, gas and electric. Family recipe packs are available by calling the centre and a paid meals on wheels service for those who are socially isolated. Find out more on the Port Seton Centre Facebook page.
- Longniddry Community Centre – open Monday to Friday 9:15am to 12:15pm. Drop in pantry of store cupboard and fresh ingredients and a hardship fund for support with food, gas and electric. Family recipe packs are available by calling the centre. Find out more on the Longniddry Community Centre Facebook page
- DadsWork Prestonpans – pantry available for dads - find out more on the DadsWork Facebook page
- Fundamental Foods - referrals through our Facebook page and Twitter account
- Fa’side Community Pantry - a new community pantry is available within the Volunteer Centre East Lothian (VCEL) building at 56 Tranent High Street. The pantry will be open 10:00am to 2:00pm, Monday to Friday and provides non-perishables, fruit and vegetables, fresh products including milk, cheese, yogurts and some baked goods.
- Fa’side Community Kitchen - 2 course meal and refreshments - donations to FCK. Open to anyone - drop in 12-1:30pm weekly Tuesday and Thursday at ELCO Tranent - dementia friendly.
- Saturday Kitchen - A provision for all of the community providing hot food including breakfast rolls. There is also a community pantry with everyday essentials including toiletries. Utility top-ups are also available. Open Saturdays from 10:00am to 12noon at St Martins Church Hall, 150 High Street, Tranent, EH33 1HJ.
- East Lothian Food Bank - Open Monday-Friday, 10:00am to 2:00pm. 3 Civic Square, Tranent, East Lothian, EH33 1LH. For more information call: 07516 510 617
For more information contact Ruth on 07515 952 631 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Haddington and Lammermuir area
- Our Community Kitchen exists to reduce isolation and loneliness in the Haddington and Lammermuir area by bringing people together to eat fresh homecooked food around a large table, allowing for friendships to form in a relaxed atmosphere. There are no barriers to age or ability all are welcome. We welcome referrals from health care professionals, self-referrals and from people locally who see or know someone who would benefit from being involved. If you would like to make a referral or would like any further information please contact email@example.com or visit Our Community Kitchen East Lothian on Facebook (please ask to join the group to see our activity)
- The Lammermuir Larder started in February 2021. The food initiative is based in Haddington and is run by local community volunteers. It is available to anyone who finds themselves in need of emergency food and support. The Larder operates on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. A week’s supply of groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables and a voucher for meat for the local butchers is delivered to the person in need's door. Funding is still available from Haddington Community Council for clothing grants to support local families experiencing financial difficulties. Referrals can be made by professionals working with families or people can self-refer. For a referral form and more information call 07955 148041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dunbar and East Linton area
Dunbar Basics Food Bank - covers Dunbar and surrounding villages, providing food, toiletries and household cleaning products, sufficient support for the client and any dependents for 4 days. Referrals need to come from professionals working with people who are considered to be in crisis and will give advice and guidance of appropriate support agencies that can help. Email: email@example.com or call: 07760 957613
Dunbar Basics Food Bank: growing and cooking projects - Dunbar Basics Food Bank have continued to support and issue home cooked, nutritious Sunny Soups throughout the year for people getting food help. If cooking is something some people need help with then the Dunbar basics food bank, The Ridge, Homestart and other professionals can arrange for a voucher for the “Crunchy Cook bag” meal kit bags with all the ingredients for a simple, 4-portion meal, plus a recipe and a link to a how-to video. Customers of the Crunchy Carrot are generously donating bags for community distribution. Some of these are half price, some are free. Professionals then have access to the vouchers to give out, via their organisations. People can then pre-order a bag and hand the voucher over on collection for either their discount or freebie
Sunny Soups is a food waste project run in partnership by the Crunchy Carrot and The Ridge, which has proved a lifeline for the project through the pandemic, allowing them to continue making free food for people each week. This has been distributed by the Basics Bank
North Berwick Coastal area
North Berwick Kindness Co-operative supports people struggling financially in North Berwick Coastal Ward on each Monday of the week. We offer: foodbank referrals, frozen meals, dried goods, sanitary products, food vouchers for fresh items and pet supplies and home fuel support. We can also supply hearing aid batteries, for those who need them.
North Berwick Community Centre has a range of books and DVDs available for the public to take. The centre is open from 9:00am to 4:30pm daily.
For help contact North Berwick Community Centre on 01620 893056 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are affected by coronavirus, for example you have been told to self-isolate and you require advice about what local support may be available, contact the Council’s Covid-19 helpline on 01875 824300 (from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week) or email: email@example.com