School clothing grants - who qualifies?

Could you get help to pay for school clothing?

School clothing grants are payments made by the Council to help parents and carers to ensure that their child has proper clothing for school (e.g. uniform and sports kit). From the 1 July 2018 School Clothing Grants will increase to £100 for both Primary and Secondary pupils.

How do you get a School Clothing Grant?

We only provide school clothing grants to parents or carers who are receiving either:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Universal Credit with £0 take home pay from employment

Parents or carers receiving other benefits (e.g. Child Tax Credit ) aren't eligible for clothing grants unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be eligible for a Clothing Grant.

Exceptional circumstances

In exceptional circumstances, where you’re experiencing severe financial hardship but aren’t receiving Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Based Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit, an officer from the Business Unit will assess your situation (if you receive working tax credit, you are not eligible for a school clothing grant).

If you're applying for a clothing grant under exceptional circumstances it would be helpful if you could provide as much financial information with your application form as possible. This should include:

  • bank statements
  • all benefit documents
  • mortgage or rent documents
  • savings books

How old must your child be to qualify?

You can apply for clothing grants for pupils between Primary 1 and the school leaving age of 16.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

EMAs help children to carry on learning after the school leaving age of 16 by providing them with a weekly payment (up to £30) towards the cost of necessary equipment (e.g. textbooks, clothing).

You can apply for an EMA:

  • if your child stays on at school after the age of 16
  • if you are a young person aged 16, 17 or 18 and want to continue your school studies

You will find more information about EMAs and how you can apply on our 'Educations Maintenance Allowance' page.

Will you be eligible for other help?

If you are eligible for school clothing grants, you may also be entitled to free school meals. You will be asked to apply for free school meals on the same form that you fill in for your clothing grant.

If your child goes to school outside East Lothian

The Council provides this service for pupils who are living in East Lothian and attending an East Lothian Council school.

However, where a child has severe and complex needs (e.g. a severe physical disability) which means that he or she has to be educated outside East Lothian, you may be able to receive the grant if you would otherwise be eligible - that is, if you receive the correct benefits.