Taking in a lodger

You need written permission to take in a lodger.

A lodger is someone, other than a member of your household, who rents a room in your home and shares facilities with you. They do not have a room key, or sole possession of any part of your home. You may also provide additional services such as meals and laundry.

You do not need permission for a partner, other family members and relatives through marriage to live with you, even if they contribute towards the rent (provided this does not lead to overcrowding).

Download our Taking in a Lodger leaflet

How do I find a lodger?

You may be more comfortable with someone you know personally. However, if you link to some of the websites from this flatshare information, you see how people advertise, and what kind of charges they make.


Download, print out and complete an application form, then return it to your local area office.

Taking in a Lodger Application Form

Refusal of consent

A landlord can only refuse consent where there are reasonable grounds, for example, where an order for recovery of possession has been served, or it appears that a payment other than reasonable rent is or has been received by the tenant.

Appealing against a refusal

You can appeal against the decision. You should do so in writing within 21 days of receiving your refusal letter. In addition, you can raise proceedings at the Sheriff Court. You may wish to seek independent housing advice to assist you. Visit Appealing against a housing decision.

If the Council wants to take back possession

Any permitted lodger will have rights as a Qualified Occupier.