Help and advice
Arrears can escalate quickly and are often very difficult to pay off. By engaging with Council teams quickly, our Officers can work with you to te prevent this.
There are options available to you. We can:
- discuss the best way for you to pay and make sure you are paying at a time of the month that suits your circumstances
- talk to you about the various council tax discounts and exemptions that we offer, to make sure you are getting any reduction you are eligible for
- we can check to make sure you are receiving any benefits or grants you may be entitled to and help you to apply, for example Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit, or a Discretionary Housing Payment
- help you to access energy advice and practical support to keep your home warm, for example by applying for a fuel grant
- help you to access information about the Scottish Welfare Fund which is available to help people in crisis
- arrange to meet with you at one of our advice surgeries in your local area. We hold a number of surgeries in Council offices and libraries across East Lothian, to assist people locally.
There is always an option, so whatever your situation, we can work with you to help you get back on track.
Don't delay, get in touch with us quickly and we'll do our best to help.