What can be funded?
Applications can be made to the Common Good Funds to support activities and events that will benefit the residents of that area. Each Common Good Committee has authority to:
- Award grants of up to £10,000
- Make recommendations to the Council on applications of over £10,000 - Recommendations for awards over £10,000 will need to gain approval from the next scheduled Council meeting
- Approve revenue expenditure of up to £10,000 for the maintenance of the assets of the Fund, provided that can be met within the approved budget
Each application for a grant will be considered on its own merits. Applications can be made by individuals and groups where the grant of the application would benefit the community as a whole. This can include, for example, expenditure on:
- A fair or festival being held in a community
- Repair or improvement works to facilities
- The purchase of equipment
1, this list is representative only and does not preclude other awards that are thought appropriate. Your project could combine a range of different activities but must show a direct community wide benefit.
2, all applicants must provide the information requested by the application form or the application will not be considered.
What can’t be funded?
- Applications for projects that do not benefit the wider community
- Applications from individuals or organisations that do not live or operate within the area of the Common Good Fund
- Applications to cover an organisations running costs - such as wages, utility bills and other recurring costs
- Applications for projects which another organisation has a legal right or duty to provide
- Activities promoting political beliefs
- Organisations seeking to make a profit using Common Good funding
- Applications should be made for the current financial year only
- Applications for retrospective funding for activities / work that has started or been completed
The scheduled dates of Common Good Committee Meetings are available on the website. Information on when applications for funding need to be submitted is on the application form. Applicants should check the date of scheduled meetings to ensure that they meet the timelines especially if funds are required by a specific date.
Additional Common Good Committee Meetings will only be convened in exceptional circumstances where the applicant can show good reason why their application for funding has fallen out with the schedule of meetings.