Damage to homes

During severe weather, properties may well suffer damage. This page gives you information on who to contact and some tips on how to deal with common problems.

Council tenants

The council is responsible for repairing its council houses and flats. To find out more, go to our information on the council housing repairs service.

Housing association housing repairs

For more information about repairs to housing association properties, please contact your own housing association.

Private properties

If you own your own home, you will be responsible for repairs. You should always check with your buildings insurer as soon as possible about making a claim, having the damage assessed and using a builder who meets you insurer's approval.