East Lothian Youth Music Forum (ELjam)
The Forum aims to support, promote and develop youth music activity across East Lothian for all young people aged 25 and under.
The aims of the Youth Music Forum are:
- a supportive network for youth music activity to link up to existing provision
- promotion of showcase events at local, national and international levels
- improved access to music tuition, activities and facilities
- greater community involvement opportunities
- links and pathways between schools, colleges, community based activities and the professional music sector
- shared expertise and resources to benefit all
- increased numbers of young people accessing and enjoying music
To find out more about ELjam, contact Iain Bruce, Youth Music Forum Development Worker at the Arts Service on 0131 665 9900 or email ELjam
You can also keep up to date with developments at ELjam’s Facebook page
Youth Music Initiative in East Lothian
East Lothian Council’s Arts Service is proud to present East Lothian’s Youth Music Initiative (YMI). A dedicated Arts Service team manages the YMI in East Lothian, with funding provided by Creative Scotland.
At a national level, Creative Scotland administers the Scottish Government’s YMI programme which intends to:
- Create access to high quality music making opportunities for young people aged 0 – 25 yrs, particularly for those that would not normally have the chance to participate.
- Enable young people to achieve their potential in or through music making.
- Support the development of the youth music sector for the benefit of young people.
Here in East Lothian we work with professional artists / musicians (both local and international) as well as music partnerships, to provide a diverse programme of high quality musical experiences. The fund promotes equal opportunity of access for all pupils to participate in high quality music making as well as focusing on target groups. The programme includes a diverse range of musical styles offering children and young people unique musical experiences. Through the Youth Music Initiative (YMI) funding in East Lothian we are able to offer all these projects at no cost to schools, children or parents.
Listed below are some of the projects we offer
- National Youth Choir of Scotland (NYCoS) Singing Groups
- Sound Stories
- Live Music Now Scotland: Traditional Tunes for Tiny People
- Song Writing
- Community Music Links (Build A Band)
- ABC Creative Music African Drumming
- YMI Instructor
- Lammermuir Festival - Amalie Trio
- CLPL for Specialists
For more information on YMI East Lothian contact: YMI Community Arts Worker, Charlotte McMillan on 0131 653 5252 or contact the Art Service
Recharge Rocks is Tranent’s music project for young people aged 12 to 25. Musicians are on hand to work with young people keen to develop their musical skills and techniques; group and one to one tuition is on offer.
Recharge Rocks is on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm in the Recharge Centre, Church Street in Tranent. Simply drop in between 6pm and 7pm to find out more. Sessions cost £1.
For more information on Recharge Rocks, contact the Arts Service.
Bridge Centre Music Project
The Project provides the facilities for young people to participate in music and receive tuition in a relaxed and supportive environment. Young people are readily given the opportunity to showcase their abilities by performing at gigs and are encouraged to express themselves by writing and recording their own music.
The Music Project currently offers band practice facilities and tuition in guitar, bass guitar and drums. Generally, the age range for tuition is Upper Primary to Upper Secondary schoola age. For further information on current classes please call 01620 823137 during office hours.
Fisherrow Guitar Groups
The Fisherrow guitar groups run on Thursday evenings, 18:30 - 19:30 for the primary age beginners, 19:30 - 20:30 for secondary age intermediate players. Each group learns how to play songs they choose, what makes songs work and how to use this to write their own music to play together. £2 per sessions, instruments and equipment all provided. For further information please contact Caroline Davis on 0131 653 4071 during office hours.
Instrumental music lessons
If you’re looking for information on instrumental music lessons, see our Instrumental Music Service pages.