East Lothian Council

Protecting the access to your property

How to request access protection markings

In certain circumstances the Council is able to provide access protection markings; these are white lines placed on the public road and are used to highlight the existence of a driveway or private access onto the public roadway.

Please note that access protection markings:

  • will only be provided on public roads where the access has all necessary planning permissions and is already accessed via dropped kerbs
  • are classed as advisory markings but are still enforceable by the police
  • are unlikely to make a difference if the access is already clearly defined
  • are normally provided free of charge

How do I apply for access protection markings?

As each case is taken on its own merits, application should be made in writing detailing the difficulties you are experiencing to the Head of Transportation.

John Muir House, Court Street, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824305

Fax: 01620 827710

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.