Blue Badge eligibility

Before you apply, you must check that you are eligible for a Blue Badge.

Depending on your condition, you may be automatically eligible, or your mobility may need to be assessed.

Automatic entitlement

You are automatically eligible for a Blue Badge without further assessment if you:

  • Are registered as blind
  • Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you must receive 8 points or more under the "moving around" activity of the mobility component or 12 points under the "Planning and following a journey"

Please note: - the points cannot be added together

  • Receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement
  • In receipt of a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme

Discretionary entitlement (subject to further assessment)

You may be eligible for a badge if you have a permanent physical disability and this means:

  • You are unable walk
  • You have very considerable difficulty in walking
  • You have severe disability in both arms

Discretionary entitlement means that you (or a representative) will have to complete an extra part of the application to show why you need one. You may also be referred for a mobility assessment before your application can be processed.

Children Under 3

If you are a parent of a child under three years of age you can apply for a badge for your child if they have a medical condition which means that they:

  • Must always travel with bulky medical equipment which can't be carried around without great difficulty; and/or
  • Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital

Special Rules

If you are terminally ill (with a progressive disease) then Special Rules may apply.

Your application will need to be supported by a specialist nurse or consultant. This could be in the form of a previously issued letter or a copy of your DS1500 (if issued).