Theatre Licence

If you want to put on a play or other type of performance like a ballet or dancing show in public, you will need a Theatre Licence.  This is needed even if the show is free of charge and whether or not it is held in premises or outside.

There are two types of Theatre Licence.  A full licence is for a place where you might hold a lot of plays or performances like a church hall and it lasts for 1 year.  A temporary licence is for a one off show, for example, a christmas play which can last for one night or as long as your show is running but it can't be longer than 6 weeks. 

Apply for  licence

You must complete the application form and submit it with the fee to the licensing section. We will send a copy of your application to the Police and East Lothian Council officers.