Cinema licence (including film nights)

If you want to show films, including recorded films, performances, children's films, etc, in a public place you will need a Cinema Licence.  The application form is to be submitted 6 weeks before the date of your event.

A licence is not needed for:

  • showing films in a private house where members of the public are not admitted
  • non-commercial film exhibitions where the public are not admitted or exhibitions by exempted societies or organisations
  • occasional and exceptional exhibitions - where premises are used on no more than six days in the calendar year
  • mobile cinemas 
  • video games
  • screening of television programmes at the time they are received

Even if a licence is not required, you must notify the licensing section, the Police and Fire Rescue Service.

Apply for a licence

You must complete the application form and submit it with the fee to the licensing section. We will send a copy of your application to the Police and East Lothian Council officers.

Download the cinema licence application form

Download the cinema licence guidance notes

Download the cinema licence conditions