Financial support for carers
If you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours per week caring for someone with illness or disability, you may be entitled to receive a weekly Carer's Allowance payment.
The person you care for must receive one of these disability benefits:
- Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
- Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
- Attendance Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
Claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits the cared for person receives. You may also not be eligible for Carers Allowance if you earn more than a certain amount per week.