If you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours per week caring for someone with illness or disability, you may be entitled to receive a weekly Carer's Allowance payment.
The person you care for must receive one of these disability benefits:
- Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
- Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
- Attendance Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
Claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits the cared for person receives. You may also not be eligible for Carers Allowance if you earn more than a certain amount per week.