Foundation Apprenticeships (FA) are two year programmes that give pupils the opportunity to gain valuable industry experience and a fully recognised qualification at SCQF Level 6 (equivalent to Higher) through classroom and work based learning. The courses take place twice a week and pupils can start in S4 or S5 giving you the option to decide when is best for you.
Pupils can embark on a variety of Foundation Apprenticeships with East Lothian Council:
- Business Skills
- Scientific Technologies
- Scientific Technologies Direct Entry (S6 pupils only)
- Social Services Children and Young People
- IT: Software Development
Edinburgh College also have a range of Foundation Apprenticeship, for S5-S6 pupils: http://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Schools/Are-You-Still-At-School/Foundation-Apprenticeships
Whether you wish to enter employment, progress onto a Modern Apprenticeship, Graduate Apprenticeship, College or University - a Foundation Apprenticeship can benefit you!
We work with an extensive range of employers who provide pupils with the valuable industry experience. Some examples include:
- Business Skills: Trainline; Scottish Seabird Centre; Enjoy Leisure; Developing the Young Workforce
- Scientific Technologies: Charles River Laboratories, Heriot-Watt University, University of Edinburgh
- Social Services Children and Young People: Argyle Bridge Nursery, Almond Park Nursery, a range of public nurseries and schools
If you are interested in taking part in a Foundation Apprenticeship:
- Information for pupils, parents and staff - Foundation Apprenticeships 2022-24
- register your interest on apprenticeship.scot for further information
- discuss your application with your guidance teacher during course choice and applications should be completed before the Easter break
- for more information on Foundation Apprenticeships, see the East Lothian Works' blog
Foundation Apprentice of the Year
In 2020-2021, Annabel was awarded Foundation Apprentice of the Year. Annabel completed the Scientific Technologies FA working with Charles River. A Scientific Technologies FA was the perfect career experiment for Annabel, landing her a job after school. The former Dunbar Grammar School pupil has gone on to work with Charles River Laboratories and plans to start a Modern Apprenticeship with the organisation.
In 2022-23, another of our Foundation Apprentices, Milo, was shortlisted for Foundation Apprentice of the Year. Milo completed his Business Skills FA with the Developing Young Workforce team at East Lothian Works. He worked on digital marketing projects during his placement with East Lothian Works including; building a Twittter handle databse for businesses in East Lothian and assisting in the roll out of a skills development newsletter for schools whilst also coordinating with industry stakeholders and partners. The former Musselburgh Grammer School pupil has gone on to work with Edinburgh based investment firm Baillie Gifford as an Intellectual Capital Assistant.