Information for parents and carers

Who are we?

Educational Psychologists work with others to help children and young people make the most of their lives. We work mainly through schools and nurseries with each establishment having a educational psychologist.

Using our knowledge of psychology, child development, learning and educational systems, we provide support through consultation, assessment/intervention, training and research.

Educational psychologists follow professional standards as determined by the British Psychological Society and the Health and Care Professionals Council.

Find out more Information on the role of educational psychologists.

When do we become involved?

A member of school or nursery staff may ask for your consent to liaise with us when considering further advice and support to help improve things for your child and address barriers to learning.

If you have concerns which you wish us to help with, discuss with a member of staff in your child’s school or nursery the best way to take this forward.

If your child is under 12 years old we can only become involved with your consent. If your child is over 12 years old we will usually need their consent too.

What to expect...

Once you have given a member of school staff consent to speak to us about your child, we will meet them to discuss and better understand the situation. The school will then contact you to share what was discussed and suggested.

If required, a consultation will be offered to explore concerns and offer additional advice and strategies to help improve things for your child. If it is agreed that further work is required (such as observation in class, assessment of learning or longer term consultation), a referral to the Educational Psychology Service will be recommended.

What can you do for me?

  • Offer advice to you and the school/nursery
  • Meet your child’s teacher to discuss their progress
  • Look at existing assessment information
  • Observe your child
  • Meet/work with your child
  • Suggest a referral to another service
  • Talk to other professionals who may know your child

Our commitment to you

We will always seek your views and those of your child.

You will always be kept informed and provided with a copy of any reports relating to your child.

You can contact us at any time to discuss how things are progressing. For more information you can view the parents and carers leaflet.

Download the Leaflet for Parents and Carers