You have the right to:

  • ask to see any personal information held about you, including your social work file and reports and get a copy of the information
  • be given an explanation of anything you don't understand
  • ask for information that is wrong to be changed or removed
  • get someone else to ask to get a copy of the files for you.

Your parent could also ask for a copy of the information.

If you are aged 12 or over, you would need to agree to this.

Even if you are under 12 years old, your parent might not be able to get a copy if you do not want them to.

The council should:

  • keep your personal information secure and confidential

  • support you if you ask to see your personal information

  • give you a copy of as much information as possible. They can hold back information about other people who do not agree to their names and information being given to you. They can also hold back information if they think it is likely to cause you serious harm.

It can take up to 40 days to see your information. You have to make a request in writing (you can't just ask to see your file). You can ask your local social work office for a special form called a Subject Access request.