Bulky waste collection service
How to arrange for a bulky waste collection
Before you contact us to arrange a bulky waste collection, could your item be reused?
Every year in Scotland many potentially reusable items are sent for disposal. To donate your unwanted bulky household items to community based reuse organisations, please call the National reuse phone line 0800 0665 820 or donate online.
Items accepted include:
- furniture in a reusable condition
- soft furnishings such as sofas, mattresses and armchairs that have fire regulations labels attached
- electrical items such as washing machines, fridges and cookers in good working order.
How to book a collection
The bulky waste collection service is available to householders for the collection of bulky household items such as mattresses, furniture and large kitchen appliances that are too big to fit into a wheeled bin and cannot be transported to the Recycling Centre.
We will not collect any black bags as part of a bulky waste collection.
You can book a bulky waste collection by calling 01875 824 305 or you can book a collection at a Local Area Office.
The bulky waste collection service is free of charge. However there are only a limited number of slots available each week and you may find that you have to wait much longer than expected before a collection slot is available to book.
You may also be allocated more than one collection date depending on the number and type of items you want uplifted; we carry out separate recycling collections for fridge-freezers and metal items.
How to present your items for collection
Please ensure that items are presented on the kerbside by 07:00 on the day of collection. We do not carry out collections from gardens, driveways or inside houses.
All items put out for uplift must be presented in a safe and tidy manner on the kerbside.
- Uplifts that have not been presented correctly may not be collected.
- Only items that have been booked for uplift on that day will be collected, all other items will be left.
Items which cannot be collected at the kerbside
There are some items which are not suitable for the bulky waste collection and cannot go into your wheeled bin.
The following items should be taken to a Recycling Centre:
- gas cylinders
- car batteries
- cooking oil
- engine oil.
Other items that cannot be collected or accepted at a Recycling Centre include:
- car tyres (cannot be accepted at Landfill sites, they should be taken to an authorised treatment facility for end-of-life vehicles)
- asbestos (contact East Lothian Council's Contact Centre on 01875 824 311 for advice on disposal)
- caravans, trailers, car parts, engines, or pianos (householders should make their own arrangements to dispose of these items with a private company).
If your items are not collected
If your bulky waste collection has not taken place on the day you were given, and you had presented it on the kerbside by 07:00 on that day, please telephone 01875 824 305.