Where is my local recycling centre?
East Lothian currently has three open recycling centres:
Macmerry Recycling Centre is currently closed, until further notice.
Both Kinwegar and Dunbar Recycling Centres have a raised area so you can deposit material into the skips without climbing stairs. Please follow the one way systems at each site.
When using the recycling centres please remember:
- to bring photographic identification with you to prove you are from East Lothian
- to separate your items for recycling
- that attendants cannot offer any assistance to unload vehicles
- that children and pets must remain in the vehicle at all times
When is my local recycling centre open?
The recycling centres are open 7 days a week: 8:30am to 5:00pm
The recycling centres are closed 25 and 26 December and 1 and 2 January, and will close at the earlier time of 2:00pm on Christmas Eve and Hogmanay.
What can I take to my local recycling centre?
Your recycling centres have skips and banks so you can recycle all of the following items:
Each centre also has facilities for you to deposit your non recyclable waste and large items like mattresses and sofas.
Items not accepted at the local recycling centre
- asbestos - contact us on 01875 824 311 for advice on disposal
- car tyres - cannot be accepted at landfill sites, they should be taken to an authorised treatment facility for end-of-life vehicles
- electrical and electronic equipment from non domestic properties
Who can take items to the recycling centre?
The recycling centres are provided for household waste that has been produced from domestic properties in East Lothian. Household waste generated from properties outside East Lothian should be taken to the site being operated by the Local Authority the property is located in.
Can I bring my items in a van or trailer?
You may bring your items to the recycling centres in a van or with a trailer from 8:30am to 10:30am. Height barriers are in operation at all four sites outwith these times.
You will need to register the vehicle at the recycling centre.
If you are bringing waste in a van or a trailer you will be restricted to twelve visits per calendar year for the following waste types:
- non recyclable and mixed waste
- garden waste
- DIY waste - such as kitchen units/bathroom suites/doors/flooring/fencing
- construction and demolition waste
This list is not exhaustive - other waste types may also be subject to the twelve visit restriction.