Where is my local Recycling Centre?
East Lothian has four Recycling Centres:
- Dunbar Recycling Centre
- Kinwegar Recycling Centre
- Macmerry Recycling Centre
- North Berwick Recycling Centre
Both Kinwegar and Dunbar Recycling Centres have a raised area so you can deposit material into the skips without climbing stairs. Please follow the one way systems at each site.
All four recycling centres are open. Due to social distancing rules, we have had to implement changes to how we operate.
- Residents must bring photographic identification with them to prove they are from East Lothian.
- Attendants cannot offer any assistance to unload vehicles.
- Children must remain in the vehicle at all times.
- Residents must remain at least 2 metres away from site attendants and other site users.
Social distancing is everyone's responsibility, please respect other site users.
When is my local Recycling Centre open?
The Recycling Centres are open 7 days a week:
- October to March 08:30 - 16:15
- April to September 08:30 - 18:15
The recycling centres are closed 25th and 26th December and 1st and 2nd January, and will close at the earlier time of 2pm on Christmas Eve and Hogmanay.
What can I take to my local Recycling Centre?
None of the Centres are able to accept textiles or items for reuse at present.
Your Recycling Centres have skips and banks so you can recycle all of the following items:
Each Centre also has facilities for you to deposit your non recyclable waste.
What items can not be accepted at my local Recycling Centre?
- Asbestos (contact us on 01875 824 311 for advice on disposal)
- Car tyres (cannot be accepted at Landfill sites, they should be taken to an authorised treatment facility for end-of-life vehicles)
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment from non domestic properties
Who can take items to the Recycling Centre?
The Recycling Centres are provided for household waste that has been produced from domestic properties in East Lothian. Household waste generated from properties outside East Lothian should be taken to the site being operated by the Local Authority the property is located in.
Can I bring my items in a van or trailer?
You may bring your items to the Recycling Centres in a van or with a trailer between 08:30 - 10:30. Height barriers are in operation at all four sites outwith these times.
You will need to register the vehicle at the Recycling Centre.
If you are bringing waste in a van or a trailer you will be restricted to twelve visits per calendar year. For the following waste types*:
- Non recyclable and mixed waste
- Garden waste
- DIY waste - such as kitchen units/bathroom suites/doors/flooring/fencing
- Construction and demolition waste
*This list is not exhaustive other waste types may also be subject to the twelve visit restriction.