How to apply for council housing

You can get an application form from any local area office, or you can download a copy. Before you apply, please check this page: The kinds of council properties in your area. You will find details of our house types and locations.

Please ask if you need help filling in the form and make sure you sign it. Once completed, return it to us with supporting evidence (see 'Verification' below.)

There are also guidance notes.


To prevent tenancy fraud, the Council requires proof of your identity, and of any joint applicants included on your form. Your application will not be processed until you provide proof. Please provide one of the following original documents, which will be verified and returned. Should you have difficulty providing them, please contact your housing office.

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Valid passport
  • Photo driving license
  • National Insurance Card

We also require proof of residency from other household members. This can be:

  • Utility bill
  • Lawyers/solicitor's letter
  • Child benefit award letter
  • Medical card/letter

All your information will be verified, including previous addresses and current housing circumstances. If false or misleading information is provided, the Council will cancel or suspend your application. We ask that you contact us if you do not know what to include; this ensures you provide the necessary details.

Application review

Your application will be reviewed annually to see whether you still require council housing and check that you have informed us of any changes to your circumstances.